Diego de Almagro founded the city of Trujillo in 1534 as
an express assignment ordered by Francisco Pizarro. He
founded the city on the Moche River Valley to tatake
advantage of the political prestige of its Caciques.
Thus, the Chimor Valley has preserved its cultural
hegemony, since beginning of our era. Despite the Saint
Valentine earthquake in 1619, the fertility of the
valley and the determination of its people have
contributed to its development. The valley is a rich
artistic province and a Republican Viceroyalty. Due to
the limitless cordiality of its people and its unceasing
intellectual activity, Trujillo has not only become the
"Respite of Travelers", but the "Cultural Capital of
Peru". It is enough to mention The International Spring
Festival. The National Marinera Competition, the
Caballos de Paso (typical Peruvian Pace Horse)
Competition, the Totora Raft Exhibition, the
Contemporary Art Biennial and the International Ballet
Festival, among others.
Trujillo has a spring climate without marked extremes of
hot or cold. During the summer (December-March) the mean
temperate is 24 degrees Celsius. The rest of the year is
moderately temperate with sunny days.
AERIAL.- The Carlos Martinez de Pinillos Airport is
located approximately 10.5kms. from the city of Trujillo
via highway toward the Huanchaco bathing resort. The
Trujillo - Lima flight is approximately 45 min. long.
TERRETRIAL.- Via the Panamericana Highway. Trujillo is
connected to all the cities on the Peruvian coast, as
well as all the provinces of the La Libertad Department.
IN THE CITY: the Catholic tradition has bequeathed
beautiful Hispano-American artistic testimonies, objects
of constant admiration, to its temples. The main ones
THE BASILICA (1647-1666).- Rises on one corner of the
Main Plaza .Its architecture is sober, but holds
valuable choir seats. Baroque and Rococo style retables,
as well as sculptures and canvases exhibited in the
SAN FRANCISCO (1625).- On the corner of Ganarra-Independencia.
Holds a rich collection of retables, the most
outstanding being those located on the crosspiece due to
their design, carved work, and gold and polychrome
relief San Francisco preached from the still - preserved
Renaissance pulpit and announced the earthquake of Saint
Valentine that destroyed the city (1410211619).
THE MERCED (1636).- Two svelte belfries decorate the
superposition of architectonic orders that decorate its
portal. It is located on the 5th block of Pizarro, and
its main altarpiece proceeds from the Church of the
Society. Outstanding are the polychrome embossments of
the pendentive arch and the only Rococo style organ in
the whole city.
THE CARMEN (1725). - Considered as the most important
architectonic complex in the region. It stands on the
comer of Colon and Bolivar. Its interior holds valuable
retables, liturgical furnishings and can vases of great
value as well as images of high artistic quality The
main retable was created by the Master Fernando Collado
de la Cruz, a black free man (1759).
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF TRUJILLO ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
contains cultural expressions of Peru's diverse Pre-Hispanic
epochs such as: ceramics, weavings, metal, etc. In
addition, there is. a special section dedicated to the
citadel of Chan Chan.
CASSINELLI ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM holds highly valuable
pieces from different cultures such as: Recuay, Chavin,
Moche, Chimu, etc. all unique in their class.
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF TRUJILLO ZOOLOGICAL MUSEUM
Exhibits samples of the varied fauna of the region.
CATHEDRAL MUSEUM Next to the cathedral. Holds valuable
sculptures, canvases and an enigmatic crypt.
- CARMELITA PICTURE GALLERY Next to the Carmen Church;
holds beautiful canvases of excellent quality.
- MUSEUM OF THE REPUBLIC Located in the home of the
Marshal of Orbegoso and Moncada.
GANOZA CHOPITEA.- Independencia N630. The most
representative relic in the city. It gathers
sequentially artistic richness from the XV11 century to
the present, integrating harmoniously each of the
centuries-respective elements. Its polychrome portal in
Baroque style is crowned with a Rococo pediment and two
lions. The ornament is completed with Mohammedan murals,
Imperial style windows and a Neo-Colonial balcony, all
of which offer a singular charm.
MARSHAL OF ORBEGOSO.- Orbegoso Nº 553. The name comes
from the ex-President of Peru, General Luis Jose de
Orbegoso, the last Count of Olmos. Although it has lost
its rear court, the home preserves its viceregal
ancestry with an interior garden, stone floors, doors
and parlors set on an elevated terraplein. It holds a
high quality collection of furniture, silverware,
canvases and mirrors.
FACALA FAMILY ESTATE.- Pizarro N'314. Its ancient
proprietary was Don Pedro de Tinoco, founder of the
family estate. Its exterior offers a splendid
architecture unusual in its height from which appear to
hang ample windows with artistic Republican style
lattices. It holds furniture, canvases, images, retables
and silverware of the most refined artistic taste.
ARANDA HOME.- Bolivar N' 621. Its beautiful, half-breed
(mestizo) Baroque portal is flanked by two Salomonic
style columns and crowned by a split pediment CORUD. Its
main patio preserves the culverts surrounding the wall
openings, forming an awning that reminds us, in its
similarity, of the Angasmarca temple in the province of
Santiago de Chuco. Both of these were properties of the
well-to-do Don Martin de Aranda.
HOME OF THE EMANCIPATION.- Pizarro N'610. Here was sworn
Independence (29-XII-1920). The Royal Ensign of the
epochof Don Tiburcio Urquiaga was its proprietary until
the XIX century. To this century date back the entrance
hall murals, work of an Indian artist who put together
the engravings of the Bishop Martinez Compañon. When the
home was restored in 1840, the neoclassic style that it
presently displays was imprinted. The architectonic
quality stands out due to the symmetry of its patios and
the harmonious distribution of its atmospheres, lattices,
and marble floors.
ITURREGUI PALACE.- Pizarro No 688. An exquisite
neoclassical two-plan mansion with an ample patio and
rear court around which are distributed rooms, a temple,
a refectory, etc, all showing the magnificence of their
lattices, svelte columns, marble floors and ceilings
with golden moldings.
BRACAMONTE HOME.- Independiente No 441. Also called the
Lizarzaburu home. Its facade displays an ample steel
lattice wrought with refined artistic expression. The
entrance hall and the extensive patios are signs of the
opulence and high lifestyle of the epoch. The panelled
ceilings, the svelte columns and Baroque paintings are
all worthy of admiration.
CALONGE ROME.- Jiron Pizarro No 446. It is one of the
few Republican style homes that partially maintain the
Baroque division of its patio. It has preserved valuable
works of art such as PreHispanic ceramics. Refined
furniture, mirrors and paintings, as well as antique
banners with the Spanish and Trujillo coats of arms.
IN THE SURROUNDLIVGS.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL MONUMENTS. Since the Pre-Columbian epoch,
this valley has concerned itself with cultural
advancement. Testimonies of its progress are the remains
CHAN CHAN.- The nucleus of the Chimu culture (XII
century). It is considered the largest mud city in the
world and UNESCO has declared it a Cultural Patrimony of
Humanity. In an area of 14 krn2 are scattered palace
remains, popular city districts, cultivation fields,
cementeries and all that was achieved by this culture
extended on the North Peruvian coast.
DEAD HORSE (CABALLO MUERTO).- With an antiquity
estimated at 1,000 B.C., these remains are located in
the Laredo Cooperative. Out of its 8 mounds, the Burial
Ground of the Kings (Huaca de los Reyes) is the most
significant Its structure is that of superimposed
platforms distributed in an U shape, with ceremonial
patio in the center surrounded by polycrome heads of
TEMPLES OF THE SUN AND THE MOONS- These were the
religious center of the Moche culture in the II-VIII
centuries, and they extended from Ancash to Piura. They
are constructed out of adobe, forming superimposed
platforms that reach a considerable height, which allows
them to dominate the valley. They are located left of
the Moche River.
SITES OF INTEREST TO TOURISTS
HUANCHACO BATHING RESORTS.- Located approximately 12 Kms,
northwest of the city. Since inmemorable times, this bay
was named Guaukocha which means "Beautiful Lagoon of
Golden Fish" - In the highest part of the resort sits a
beautiful, ancient, Colonial church. The Virgin of
Succor, put ashore the 2nd of January, 1537 under King
Charles V's commands, is venerated here. Dean Saavedra,
a miraculous saint whose body has been maintained intact
in an urn since 1707, is also venerated. It is the only
ing fishing bay in all of the Peruvian North that
maintains still standing thee totora rafts that were
inherited by its ancestors.
MOCHE VILLAGE.- Located 15 kms. south of the city.
Founded 1535 and on December 13th, 1724, its church was
built with Santa Lucia de Moche as its patron. Moche was
a cultural center since the Stone Age, remains of this
period were found in the High Chorobal south of Moche.
Subsequently, here one finds the beginning of the Early
of Formative Horizon demonstrated by the Cupisniques
whose remains can be appreciated in the Complexes of
Dead Horse east of Laredo and those of Salinar and Viru
that existed until the II century A.D. The presence of
the famous burial grounds of the Sun and The Moon in the
Archaeological Complex of Moche, -indicates that this
area not only continued to be intensely occupied by the
natives, but that it was considered as the political and
religious center of the Mochica Culture (II to MAD.).
SIMBAL VILLAGE.- Welcoming small village the Trujillo
mountain area, 3-9 kms. northeast of the city. On our
journey, we pass picturesque places such as: Cerro
Blanco, Quirihuac. Menocucho and the hot Pedregal, to
then arrive at Simbal. The Agrarian Cooperative of
Production of Laredo is also in our path.
PAIJAN VILLAGE.- Site of famous Caballos de Paso (Pace
Horses) riding school, 65 kms. north of the city.
MALABRIGO PORT - Better known as Chicama port, 70 kms.
north of the city. Highly visited by tourists interested
in surfing. Here one finds the longest waves in the
ARTISANSHIP. Known for the beauty of its: carved work in
wood, leather repousse work, mud and clay moldings,
printed and engraved gourds. Trujillian wire windows,
gold and silver work, engravings of representative
customs, totora rafts, straw hats, etc.
The Marinera dance, which stands, outs and has given
Trujillo the title of "The Marinera Capital", is a
lively, festive dance which ends every party.
The Huayno, typical of this mountainous region, is a
joyful, competitive dance between the man and the woman.
Also typical of this region are a diversity of native
dances such as: The Negritos, The Huanquilla. The
Mojigangas, The Turcos, The Huaris, The Huananayes, etc.
A wide variety of traditional medleys including: seco de
cabrito a cabrito de leche (baby goat dishes), causa en
lapa (vegetable and yellow potato dish), ajiaco (hot
potato stew), cuy con maní (guinea pig with peanuts),
shambar, theologian soup, duck with rice, Trujillan
sangrecita, cebiche, steamed and hot dishes; as well as
the delicious king-kong, alfajor machacado de membrillo
and the exquisite chicha de jora (fermented maize